Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Homemade Studded Tyres

For the last few weeks i have been trying to come up with a way to make my own studded tyres without puncturing my tubes.  I went to my local hardware store and was looking at all the different types and sizes of screws and i found some sort of cheap screws, that work well as studs.  They come in packs of 50, and are around $2.50 a pack, they are made of yellow zinc, and are #6 x 1/2" (they are Construction Screws for multiple-materials). 
make sure that the screw driver that you use, fits in the head really well, it helps.
I'm using Schwalbe (race guard) Marathon Racer tyres.  I have here a twenty inch tyre.
it's my front tyre of my recumbent, i am working on a studded rear twenty-six inch tyre. 
the screws as they stick out of my tyre before i cut them down.

the flat heads of the screws on the inside of the tyre.

If you are wanting to make your own, here are the steps on how I am doing it:
Materials:
  • #6 x 1/2 construction screws
  • Phillips Screw driver
  • Tyres that fit your bike
  • and a couple hours of time
Directions:

  1. Get your tyre
  2. Decide where you want to put your studs in your tyre
  3. mark where you want to put your studs
  4. Take your screws and screw them into the tyre from the outside on your marks (do that all the way around your tyre)
  5. Take out one screw at a time and screw them into the tyre from the inside where you see your holes from the screws.
  6. Take metal wire cutters or a tough metal cutter, and cut off the the tip so that it doesn't stick out too far, but you still have a good sized stud left.
  7. When you get done and have all your screws pointing outward, take duct tape and line the inside of your tyre.  (so that the screw heads don't puncture your tubes.).
  8. Install your tube and tyre back on your rim and go for a ride.
I am working on getting a bunch of tyres in different sizes prepared, i may possibly start selling these if they work like i'm hoping they will.  If i start sell these, i will post an update and i will post prices and tyre sizes in the "Repairs" page under Repairs/Parts.  When i get both tyres fully completed i will post some pictures.  If you decide to make a pair like these, let me know how you like them and your experiences while making them, Have Fun.

Keep on Biking....

No comments:

Post a Comment