Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Trying out a winter bike

I have talked about in the past posts about an "Abbey" 3-Speed Women's bike that came to the bike shop.  Well i got it painted today, i kept the original colors.  Black and Antique Cream, it's a beautiful bike now.  I am going to use it for my winter bike.  Diane Pittman (Owner of Shifting Gears), was helping me to decide what bike to use for the winter, and she said that three speed bikes are the best because all the gears are internal, and all the salt from the roads don't eat it away, as compared to a multi-speed bike, with the gears exposed.

Come next spring, I am going to tare it apart and clean it intensely.  Especially after winter, I have basically brought that bike from the dead.  It started out as a rust bucket, the rims wouldn't even move, the rubber was half gone, and the 3-speed hub was also rusted shut.  I took it apart and soaked all the rusted parts in Tri-Flo oil, it is the best stuff for loosening up old rusted parts, or even keeping you chain lubed   But anyway, i had gotten it working, but the fenders and the chain guard are rusted to the frame, and that's OK, i'll get them to come off in the spring.  I would put up before and after pictures, but i didn't take before pictures, but i will post an after picture, so you all know what it looks like, and if anyone has heard of "Abbey" bikes, please email me @ bikeinfoquestion@gmail.com, i would love to know some info on this bike.  If you have any good ideas about winter biking/commuting, please leave a comment, or email me or both. Thanks,

Keep on Biking...

No comments:

Post a Comment