Saturday, November 10, 2012

Fenders: Pros and Cons

Hey again, today i'm taking about fenders, the pros and cons:

Fenders Pros: 
  • They are nice for riding in rain or snow.
  • they prevent that wet, slushy, or brown streak up your back
Metal fenders are nice, they last a long time.  There are two types of fenders, Metal fenders are longer and protect from water spray, and plastic fenders are more for mountain bikes and off-roading, they are more of a mud flap/guard than anything.  The metal fenders last a life time, if you take care of them the right way.  If you use chrome polish and a soft cloth, and keep them clean with windex (thats what i like to use, it doesn't harm your paint and it keeps your bike and fenders clean.  If you can find painted fenders that match or accent you bikes paint, the paint acts like a protective barrier against rust, if you maintain them and keep the paint clean.  

Fenders Cons:

  • They take a bit to install, depending on the style of fenders.
I will admit I don't like installing fenders anymore than the next guy.  I just replaced my fenders today, and they took me about 30 - 45 minutes to do.  I had to replace the old metal fenders that were on my Miyata bike.  They were rusting on the undersides. I replaced my old chrome fenders with blueish grey colored fenders, to go with my light tan colored Miyata Seven-ten.  

Installing fenders do take a bit of time to put on, but they help a lot.  you can install them yourself, and if you have questions you can ask your local bike shop questions about doing it, or for a fee you can have the bike shop do it, if you don't have the time or whatever the reason.

Have fun.

Keep on Biking...

No comments:

Post a Comment